I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Crochet Striped Tote

 
I consider myself a beginner when it comes to crocheting. I've only crocheted scarves up to this point, but when I saw the pattern for this tote, I really wanted to try it! It's so fun and cheery. So, I printed out the pattern and went for it.

I'm so glad I did! It certainly wasn't like crocheting a scarf, but I wouldn't call it difficult either (the pattern is actually marked as "easy", so I should have known I'd be ok). Even the handles...
...which I worried about until I got up to them, weren't all that difficult.

If you'd like to give it a try, you can find the pattern here on Lion Brand Yarn's website. You do have to sign up for an account, but it's free and totally worth it. You'll have access to lots and lots of patterns, and they don't pester you with too many emails (they do send a few, but I'm sure you could opt out of them). Oh, and I'm not getting paid to recommend their site. Other than having my email in their database, they don't even know I exist. :-)

A couple little notes about the pattern:

  • The tote is worked in the round, but if you've never done that before, don't worry! I hadn't either, but I think the pattern explained it pretty well.
  • I was a bit rusty crocheting and had a little difficulty with the hdc2tog stitch at first. I found this video to be very helpful.
  • If you have trouble with any other stitches, I'd just Google the stitch and videos should come up explaining them. A cashier at JoAnn's told me that when I first started crocheting, and it's been a great tip!
Have fun crocheting!







I'm linking at these great parties:

Mondays: Sweet Sharing Monday *  The Girl Creative * Destination: Cutesy Monday * What's In The Gunny Sack * Etcetorize * Made by you Monday*Make It Yourself Monday*Mop It Up Mondays*Make The Scene Monday*Make It Pretty Monday*
Tuesdays: Riverton Housewives Roundup *  Show Me What You Got * Tuesday Time Out  * Tasteful Tuesdays * 
Wednesdays: Super Link Party * Show & Share * {Wow Me} Wednesday *From Dream To Reality*Create & Share*What I Whipped Up Wednesday*What We Wore & Made Wednesday*The Creative Spark Wednesdays* Milk & Cuddles*Made By Me Wednesdays*
Thursday: Pin'Inspirational Thursday Recipe Roundup *A Crafty Soiriee * Creative Thursday *Taylor House Thursday*Transformation Thursday*Hookin Up With HoH*Creative Juice Thursday*Live Laugh Linky Thursday* Link Party Thursday*Taking A Time Out Thursday*
Fridays: Delicately Constructed Fridays * Flaunt It Friday * Financial Friday Link Up  *Friday Fun Party* Friday Flair*Pity Party*Frugal Friday*Friday Favorites*Weekend Craft Soiree*
Saturdays: Strut Your Stuff Saturday * Once Upon A Weekend * Sharing Saturday * Dare To Share Saturday * Craft, Create and Inspire * A Pinteresting Party*
Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday * It's Overflowing Sunday Party  * Cooking & Crafts Party

24 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I've crochet for a long time but I've never done a bag - now I know I need to :) I'd love for you to share with my readers if you get a chance. Hope you have a great week! http://www.momontimeout.com/2012/08/taking-timeout-thursday-no44.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag! I usually crochet in the winter, this is going on my project list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a fun little project. You should definitely try it.

      Delete
  3. It's so perfect and pretty! Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! It turned out so pretty!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this color combination. I only know how to crochet in the round, so maybe I will be bold enough to try to make something like this!
    I would love to have you add this to a collective link party I co-host, Eat Make Grow: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-5.html
    I host along with two other bloggers, so one link shows up on all three blogs, and we feature a couple of bloggers each week. We're always looking for great content like this! Hope to see you over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Marigold! I'll try to head on over later today. :-)

      Delete
  6. I really like the color combination. I would love for you link this up at my first LINK PARTY!

    http://www.thecreativeorchard.blogspot.com/2012/08/tutorial-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll head on over a little later today. :-)

      Delete
  7. I love the tote bag! You did a fabulous job on it. I'd love for you to link it up to our What I Wore Sunday link party:
    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/09/what-i-wore-sunday-week-31.html

    See you soon!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite! I'll try to head on over soon. :-)

      Delete
  8. Erin,
    This is such a cute bag! I'm going to have to spend some time this winter learning how to crochet. Thank you so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. I wouldn’t be able to do these wonderful parties without your participation. Have a wonderful week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,
    Great tote. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower on Pinterest, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Love the bright happy color combo! I'm headed over to grab this pattern for myself!
    <3 Bethany @ thesepiapuppy.blogspot.com
    (come on over and check me out!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.........Awesome!!!!!!!!! Love the idea,would love to try something like this for my daughter.
    wwww.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure your daughter would love it!

      Delete
  12. The colors are so bright and cheerful! LOVE it!
    What a cute bag....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this bag. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bag, beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I really want to learn how to crochet, this bag might just be the thing to inspire me to finally give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not too difficult to crochet (much easier that I thought it would be). When I first started I went to JoAnn's and bought a beginners "kit" with a little book and all the tools (other than yarn) that I would need. I was a huge help and I still refer to the book when I'm a bit rusty on a stitch. Good luck learning!

      Delete
  16. Love your bag. Such a bright and sunny color too!

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!